Wessex Attractions: Saxon Church of St Laurence

The church of St Laurence in Bradford on Avon is one of England's best-preserved Saxon churches. A charter dating from 1001 documents it as having been granted by King Æthelred to the nuns of Shaftesbury Abbey. It is believed to have been founded by St Ealdhelm, though the current building probably dates back to the aformentioned charter, as the architecture is more characteristic of the 11th century than the 7th.

The church is maintained by the Saxon Church Trust, and still used a place of worship by several religious communities. It is well signposted within the town of Bradford on Avon, and a short walk from the railway station.