Wessex Attractions: Prinknash Abbey

Prinknash Abbey is a Benedictine abbey near Cranham in Gloucestershire, which is the largest manufacturer of incense in Europe. The land was donated to the Abbot of Gloucester in 1096 by Robert Giffard, who had come over with the Bastard. It was closed during the dissolution of the monasteries, but reopened in 1928 after the Earl of Rothes, a Catholic convert, donated the land to the Benedictine monks of Caldey Island, of Tenby.

Prinknash Abbey welcomes visitors on dedicated footpaths, and its cafe and shop are open from 10am to 4pm every day. The chapel is open for quiet prayer daily from 8am to 7.45pm, with mass being celebrated at 8.30am. There are two meeting rooms, holding 35 and 50 people. The postcode is GL4 8EX and Stagecoach Gold service 66 from Cheltenham to Stonehouse stops at a stop deceptively named Prinknash Abbey, which implies that it is right outside, but is actually almost a mile away.