Newton Abbot racecourse, situated on the edge of Dartmoor, was founded in 1866 as a community venture, funded by local horse racing enthusiasts. However, it lacked a proper grandstand for over a century, until one was opened in 1969, in a ceremony attended by the Queen Mother. In 1974, a greyhound racing track was added after the nearby Halfway Greyhound Track closed down.
The racecourse features two on-site restaurants, picnic benches, a children’s play area, and dedicated facilities for owners and trainers. The dress code is smart casual.
Ladies’ Day takes place in June every year. There are prizes for the best dressed and best hat.
The satnav postcode is TQ12 3AF. The racecourse is close to Newton Abbot railway station, and is served by multiple bus routes.